Best of the Web - Simulacrum, Post-Apocalyptic Maps, and Rules as Written

Simulacrum has posted the beta version of their Fantasy Heartbreaker which is also called Simulacrum. I haven't had time to read through it yet, but one aspect I really like is he's included a Designer Notes document. I really like this idea. In fact I'd considered doing something similar myself but petered out before I had anything worth posting. I will take up the project at some point. Anyway, I hope this becomes a thing with every Fantasy Heartbreaker providing rationals for some decisions, even if its just for consistency and backwards compatibility. 

Trollsmyth has a nice post called Using the Real World to Create Post-apocalyptic Maps which provides a quick serious of steps on how to do exactly as the title says. For some reason it didn't occur to me before but D&D or any of its variants would work nice enough in a Thundarr the Barbarian campaign. The only difference is the addition of cyborgs and post-apocalyptic maps.

Christopher Stogdill posting over at Tenkars Tavern has a post called Is Rules as Written Really Still a Thing? I'd ask, was it ever a thing? Speaking of AD&D in particular. I never met anyone that used weapon speeds, weapon adjustments by AC or segments. These were rule-rules, not optional like Psionics (which I've never met anyone that used either). I don't think Gygax used that stuff. DIY was built into the thing from the start by adding that sort of incompressible rules in order to differentiate it from anything Dave Arneson was a part of. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

More playing with AI

 This time battlemaps. I was surfing around looking at battlemaps and came across TheAIWizard creating a battlemap or two using AI. He uses...