Thoughts on a Viking Campaign

 As mentioned before the Kid is a fan of Vikings. So I thought that's a decent place to start, once the Lost Mines are done and the training wheels are off we can start a viking campaign.


So my first thought is do I go historical. Do I have vikings based on the Isle of Mann raiding proto-dublin, St Michael's Island and perhaps out to Paris. I'd love them to raid Mont-Saint Michelle (and even found some nice maps at Milbysmaps) Or do I make them Vikings in the Saxon era dealing with Saxons and the King of the Britons and viking around like in the Bard series of books. Or do I go full fantasy viking like in How to Tame Your Dragon. 


Well my old gang is a literate bunch and the Kid is into vikings so there is a decent chance they can or will know more than me so getting historical details right could be more of a pain than it's worth. That's not a problem if I have fantasy vikings. Also I can create my own viking religion that praises bloodshed but denounce rape as a way to ensure nobody crosses a line that I think Viking-based games have tip-toed around or ignored in the past.


Side Note: I have all the RuneQuest, BRP, and Legend viking books. RuneQuest Vikings, Vikings of Legend, C'Thulu Dark Ages, Mythic Iceland. I don't think any of them cover raiding as much as they should. Viking is a job, it is piracy and war, not a culture. I wanted to emphasize that more.


Also I have a few AI fantasy cities ready to be pillaged and a few plunder by individual or by building tables I don't seem to have posted to my blog. I published Maritime so I have some maritime rules I can use for boat stuff. So fantasy vikings it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More playing with AI

 This time battlemaps. I was surfing around looking at battlemaps and came across TheAIWizard creating a battlemap or two using AI. He uses...