Some thoughts on 5E

I was a little late getting into 5E. My players and I cut our teeth on AD&D so that is something to think about during this post. Also for the first few sessions every player wanted a fighter (the most popular character class in polls as well) which creates a somewhat unique dynamic. A group of four fighters, two of which are archers, provides a pretty devastating attack.

My players prefer to get increases in to hit rather than the fiddly benefits at each level. They were constantly reminding each other not to forget class features. It all felt meta gaming and I didn't like it. Also it adds a level of complexity to the GM who has to keep track of what they can do. This I think dates back to AD&D when your fighter got better at fighting, and there were no extras per level.

This next complaint is not a 5E issue but an issue with every game. After a particularly successful mission the players were the toast of the village they saved. Playing out the events of carousing are dull and awkward. Also going door to door looking for plot hooks as seems to be expected in Lost Mines of Phandelin is dull and stupid. It would be much better to mix the two. Have the players take out the Redbrand Ruffians and then while drinking the rumors come to them.  A Carousing mechanic would work easily enough handle the celebration and hand out rumors. Then the players can have a more targeted search for info the next day when sober again. Carousing tables were a fun idea but they are just under-used when used for experience (or just used for experience). 

Another one that is not strictly 5E, but... I thought I liked platform leveling. That is mission complete you go up a level. This avoids counting XP like a bookkeeper. I'm a GM not a bookkeeper! But we had a session where two players didn't make it. They may join half way into this next adventure. So do they go up when the group goes up, that doesn't seem fair.

Lastly, for now at least, 5E and Lost Mines level the PCs up too quickly. I think if the pace of leveling slowed down the players might get a chance to get use to their new Class Features each level instead of just collecting them and forgetting about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I'd Do, Warhammer Edition

Back in May 2019 Games Workshop was looking for a new CEO. I had some ideas of what I would do if I was CEO and re-reading them they were m...