What I'd Do, Warhammer Edition

Back in May 2019 Games Workshop was looking for a new CEO. I had some ideas of what I would do if I was CEO and re-reading them they were mostly crap. What I'd do now that I'm older and wiser i have some other ideas that may be mostly crap but...

I'd create a skirmish game. I know they already have a few like Mordheim to start with so most of the work is done. The problem is their previous skirmish games have been stand-alone. Buy it and Games Workshop never supported it. I'd support the game with campaigns full of modules like every RPG system does. This breaks down the cost of each, allows a stream of new products to draw attention, and means the newbie doesn't need a massive army to start playing as they do with Warhammer Fantasy Battle. For example: 

The Dwarven Vault campaign is about a Dwarven vault being besieged by Goblinoids. Each module would have 20ish miniatures. Different modules would cover different regions of the vault. The first could be fighting over the mines and crypts in the lower levels of the vault, a second is around the ore smelting furnaces, the third is fight in the great hall. So if you bought them in order you'd have a lot of mini's by the time you got to that big battle in the great hall. Each module would have some special tactical issues to deal with and a few additional miniatures. 

The Mordheim Campaign would do the same thing but use different parts of the city with different factions. The work has mostly been done on Mordheim already so this would be cheap and easy follow-up.

Continue that until you've given a taste of all of the major Warhammer Fantasy armies. Then when folks basically have built up a few armies over time the cost of putting together a Fantasy Army will be trivial.

I'd stop the silly lawfare Games Workshop has been waging against everybody (as if they own the term Space Marine, please) and release the skirmish game under the Creative Commons license and let others create content (knowing my, that is Games Workshop miniatures are the best and folks would buy them to play out these other games). Probably crazy but that's what I'd do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rethinking Weapon Damage

Using average weapon damage instead of rolling speeds up the game. I've been doing it in Roll20 because the system doesn't automatic...