Best of the Web - Dragons Lair, Ghost Generators

Cacklecharm at The Manse has a post called "Dragon's Lair is a pretty cool dungeon" which spiked my nostalgia levels through the roof. At one point I'd mastered the game. It was a beautiful game, but kind of crappy as an actual game because all you did was memorize things. Once mastered I could finish the game with all my lives left, which by that point meant a small crowd had formed to watch the big dragon fight. Then to maximize the score you let yourself die once, twice (and then don't screw up the last one or you look like the biggest idiot) then kill the dragon and its over. Like I said, the game was beautiful, but I'd never considered as a dungeon before. The post makes a fun read.

Cacklecharm also has a nice post called Ghost Generator + New Ghost Rules that is worth a look. I've never liked the way ghosts, wraiths, spirits, and such were codified in D&D. That takes the mysterious of them which kills any horror they might generate. I understand the codification in most cases but for ghosts and demons it doesn't really work for me. Something like the Ghost Generator is better.

Mix Cacklecham's tables with the ones created by Noism in his Random Ghost Generator post over at Monsters and Manuals and the Three Step Modern Haunting Generator over at Role Playing Tips (really like the desires of the Ghost table) and you'd really have something to build an adventure or two around.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

More playing with AI

 This time battlemaps. I was surfing around looking at battlemaps and came across TheAIWizard creating a battlemap or two using AI. He uses...